Monday, April 23, 2012

Adding Ribbon To Curtains

In the big boy room I designed we had a tiny budget. There was no way that custom made drapes were in the cards for us. So we had to find a way to dress up some inexpensive pre-made curtains. 
Tomorrow I'll share with you some of my favorite sources for ribbon. Perfect for dressing up any shade or curtain.

Supplies Needed:
Heat and Bond
Curtains 
Iron
Scissors
Ribbon

Start with washing your curtains, and if possible your ribbon too. Now start ironing all the wrinkles out of your curtains.
Next grab some heat and bond, I started out with 2 -1/4" strips but then used 2 -1/2" strips it was much easier. Peel the paper of the back and roll it out onto the ribbon. Then iron as you go down.
Now peel off the back of the Heat and Bond. Then flip it over onto the curtain. Just place it where you want it to go.
My curtains had about a 1" seam at the edge. So I just followed my ribbon straight down that line.
For the corners I did two things. When I came to the end of the roll of ribbon I cut it off, then folded it at an angle and tuck it in like shown.


Tuck it under and then apply another strip of heat and bond and iron to make it stick.

If I wasn't at the end of the roll and wanted to continue, then I would fold it over like shown and iron. This way you can avoid cutting the ribbon and starting over.
Your going to want to bring the ribbon past where you want to actually place it. Because your going to be folding it up. 

Grab another little strip of heat and bond.

Pull off the backing and fold up the bottom piece and iron. You'll have a perfect little corner.



Parties I'm linking to this week:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
 Thursday:
 Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday:
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! I love this! Adding trim to your drapes definitely makes a massive difference for not very much money!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way these turned out...I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I really didn't know how to get that clean corner! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, I just hoped it made sense how to achieve one. It was very hard to describe! =)

      Delete
  4. That's brilliant - looks amazing! Don't know if i had the patience but i love trimmed curtains...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!! wow!! these have turned out simply stunning!! And they blend into the room so well.. Love how the simple ribbon has given so much of character to the curtains as well as the room... amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! The ribbon really makes the curtains pop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I love the impact that the ribbon has on a simple pair of curtains! Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these look super sharp! Love the pop of colour that the orange ribbon gives. If you're looking for another place to share your awesome tutorial stop by Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/04/make-it-great-monday_22.html). Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding ribbon to curtain is taught here. Know details from here
    Curtain

    ReplyDelete